Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
Thursday, February 19, 2026
HomeBusiness NewsWine industry laments 'missed opportunity'

Wine industry laments ‘missed opportunity’

The wine and grape industry has lamented a lack of support in the federal budget during one of the most difficult times in recent history for growers, with the nation’s peak industry body calling it a “missed opportunity” that ignores industry’s pleas for urgent support.

Australian Grape and Wine (AGW) chief executive officer Lee McLean has criticised the budget and stated it provided no relief for the serious challenges facing growers and winemakers in regional communities across much of Australia.

“The industry’s struggles are not the result of normal market fluctuations, but stem from factors outside the industry’s control, including the loss of our largest export market in 2020,” he said.

In January, AGW put forward proposals in its pre-budget submission to the government, which considered options for transitioning growers who may have unrecoverable losses.

The submission suggested without government intervention to support growers in this critical period, the sector would experience forced exits, widespread vineyard abandonment, which could lead to significant biosecurity risks, attrition of younger generations in the affected areas, and adverse mental health consequences across regional communities.

With the current oversupply of red wine, reports of growers ripping out vines and considering more financially viable crop alternatives are becoming increasingly common in broad scale production regions such as the Riverland

Mr McLean criticised the omission of the industry’s modest pre-budget submission requests, including a $30 million sustainability package, $36 million for export assistance, and $20 million for domestic wine tourism.

“We made it crystal clear – many in regional wine communities across Australia are on their knees and need urgent government action to stop a bad situation from becoming a catastrophe,” McLean said.

“However, instead of support, all we got was a new tax in the form of the deeply flawed Biosecurity Protection Levy.”

Mr McLean noted while China’s decision to lift import duties had been a positive development for the industry, it would not resolve the issues facing growers and winemakers.

“The economic shock experienced by our industry has led to unsustainable prices for grapes, an oversupply of wine, and increasing economic disadvantage in regional Australia,” he said.

“It’s a damning indictment of just how dire the situation is when the refund on an empty wine bottle is worth more than what many of our growers receive for the grapes that fill it.”

Shadow Minister for Primary Industries and Regional South Australia, Nicola Centofanti, said the budget showed disregard for the grape and wine sector, labelling it “as disappointing as it is dangerous”, adding the industry had every right to feel outraged by their deliberate oversight.

“South Australia’s wine industry produces about half of the country’s wine, contributing billions of dollars to the economy,” Dr Centofanti said.

“The industry is on its knees,it is not rocket science to realise that the wine industry needs support to transition to more sustainable production levels and it also needs adequate and effective assistance to help growers diversify to ensure that our agricultural land remains productive.”

Mr McLean called on the government to reconsider this “missed opportunity.”

“Australian Grape and Wine is committed to fighting for growers, winemakers and regional communities. We will not let this go,” he said.

“This deliberate failure to help families in regional Australia jeopardises the viability of entire communities, and without help it is only going to get worse.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

President’s Open Fours a success

Last Tuesday’s President’s Fours tournament was a successful day with a windy change in the weather thrown in to test the bowlers’ skills. President...
[tdm_block_inline_text_simplified_2 text="TW9yZSUyME5ld3M=" f_txt_font_size="32" f_txt_font_line_height="1" f_txt_font_weight="700" f_txt_font_spacing="-1" color="#000000"]

Choosing when to die so others may live – a journey with MND

I have written a lot of stories over the last 10 years with The Plains Producer, but this is one of the most challenging...

Burra set for wind farm worker’s village

Burra is set for construction of an accommodation village to house hundreds of local and visiting workers required for one of the Mid North’s...

A $300 million Liberal leg up for farmers

The State Liberal Party has announced an election commitment aimed to give farmers a financial leg up. Farmers, wine grape growers and winemakers across South...

Labor promises support for autism program

A re-elected Malinauskas Labor Government has announced it will continue to support the development of Clare High School’s autism inclusion program. The autism inclusion program...

Get ready for finals fever

ROCKY RIVER CRICKET CRYSTAL BROOK VS SOUTH PORT Crystal Brook finished the Rocky River A Grade cricket minor round with a 98-run defeat at home against...

Gap widens between top and bottom

It was top four vs the next four in the latest round of Mid North Tennis Association at the weekend, as the gap between...

Local councils reveal election wishlist

The central region’s peak body representing local councils has revealed its top priorities it will be advocating for ahead of the state election. The Northern...

Hallett battery project reaches milestone

EnergyAustralia’s Hallett Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) has reached financial close and is now moving into the delivery phase, marking a major milestone for...

Searches recommence for Gus

SA Police returned to Oak Part Station, near Yunta to recommence their search for the missing Gus Lamont. Members attached to Task Force Horizon conducting...

Lions Club boosts safety for early learners

A Clare kindergarten has strengthened its safety and sustainability for young green thumbs, after a community group donation made a new garden fence possible....